Macy's Closing 791,000 SF Macy's Store in Downtown Houston
Macy’s, Inc. (NYSE:M) on Thursday detailed a series of adjustments to its portfolio of Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s stores.
The company will close the following six stores in early spring 2013. Final clearance sales will begin on Monday, Jan. 7, at the five Macy’s locations (and on Sunday, Jan. 6, at Bloomingdale’s Fashion Show), and run for between seven and 11 weeks.
- Fashion Show Home Store, Las Vegas, NV (99,000 square feet; opened in 2002; 35 associates).
- Paseo Colorado, Pasadena, CA (158,000 square feet; opened in 1980; 116 associates);
- Belmont, MA (75,000 square feet; opened in 1978; 101 associates);
- Downtown Honolulu, HI (80,000 square feet; opened in 1850; 91 associates);
- Downtown St. Paul, MN (362,000 square feet; opened in 1963; 153 associates);
- Downtown Houston, TX (791,000 square feet; opened in 1947; 138 associates).
In conjunction with these store closings, an estimated $2 million to $4 million of costs will be booked in the fourth quarter of 2012. These costs were not previously included in earnings guidance provided by the company.
Planned Store Openings
As previously announced, nine new and replacement Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s stores are currently planned and/or under construction. One new Bloomingdale’s Outlet store is being announced today.
New Macy’s stores will be opening in:
- Mall of Victor Valley, Victorville, CA (103,000 square feet; to open spring 2013; approximately 140 associates);
- Gurnee Mills, Gurnee, IL (140,000 square feet; to open in fall 2013; approximately 200 associates);
- Mall at Bay Plaza, The Bronx, NY (160,000 square feet; to open in fall 2014; approximately 225 associates);
- University Town Center, Sarasota, FL (160,000 square feet; to open in fall 2014; approximately 175 associates);
- Shops at Summerlin, Las Vegas, NV (180,000 square feet; to open in fall 2014; approximately 160 associates).
An all-new Macy’s store is being built in Westfield South Shore in Bay Shore, NY (200,000 square feet; to open in fall 2013; approximately 180 associates) to replace an older store in the same shopping center.
Macy’s is expanding its presence in Fashion Show in Las Vegas with a new Macy’s Men’s Store (105,000 square feet; to open in spring 2013) and a significantly remodeled main store. The current Macy’s Fashion Show workforce of 495 associates is expected to expand to 560 associates by the end of 2013.
A new Bloomingdale’s store is being built in Glendale Galleria in Glendale, CA (120,000 square feet; to open in fall 2013; approximately 175 associates).
In addition, an all-new Bloomingdale’s is being built in Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, CA (120,000 square feet; to open in spring 2014) to replace an older store in the same shopping center.
A new Bloomingdale’s Outlet store will open in fall 2013 in Fashion Outlets Chicago now being built in Rosemont, IL. It will be about 25,000 square feet and employ approximately 55 associates. This new location will bring to 13 the total number of Bloomingdale’s Outlets, a new concept launched in fall 2010. Four were opened in 2010, with another three added in 2011 and five added in 2012.
Once all of these changes have been implemented, Macy’s will operate 798 stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Guam. Bloomingdale’s will have a total of 37 full-line and home stores, as well as 13 Bloomingdale’s Outlet stores. Bloomingdale’s also operates in Dubai under a license agreement with Al Tayer Group LLC.