BOSTON & HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--GE (NYSE:GE) and Baker Hughes (NYSE:BHI) today announced that the companies have entered into an agreement to combine GE’s oil and gas business (“GE Oil & Gas”) and Baker Hughes to create a world-leading oilfield technology provider with a unique mix of service and equipment capabilities. The “New” Baker Hughes will be a leading equipment, technology and services provider in the oil and gas industry with $32 billion of combined revenue1 and operations in more than 120 countries. By drawing from GE technology expertise and Baker Hughes capabilities in oilfield services, the new company will provide best-in-class physical and digital technology solutions for customer productivity.
Under the terms of the agreement, which has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies, at the closing of the transaction Baker Hughes shareholders will receive a special one-time cash dividend of $17.50 per share and 37.5% of the new company. GE will own 62.5% of the company. The transaction is expected to close in mid 2017.
“This transaction creates an industry leader, one that is ideally positioned to grow in any market. Oil & gas customers demand more productive solutions. This can only be achieved through technical innovation and service execution, the hallmarks of GE and Baker Hughes,” said Jeff Immelt, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of GE. “As we built the GE Oil & Gas business, I have always been impressed by the respect our customers have for Baker Hughes. GE Oil & Gas is a key GE business, one that fully leverages the GE Store. As we go forward, this transaction accelerates our capability to extend the digital framework to the oil and gas industry. An oilfield service platform is essential to deliver digitally enabled offerings to our customers. We expect Predix to become an industry standard and synonymous with improved customer outcomes. GE investors will benefit through ownership of a stronger business with substantial synergies and an improved competitive position. The transaction is expected to add approximately $.04 to GE EPS in 2018, $.08 by 2020.”
Martin Craighead, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at Baker Hughes said, “This compelling combination brings together best-in-class oilfield equipment manufacturing and services, and digital technology offerings for the benefit of all customers and stakeholders. The combination of our complementary assets will create a platform capable of seamless integration while we enhance our ability to deliver optimized and integrated solutions and increase touch points with our customers. In addition, Baker Hughes shareholders will receive a special one-time cash dividend of $17.50 per share and benefit from the upside of a stronger, larger business. With employees of Baker Hughes and GE Oil & Gas coming together, the new company will be an industry leader, well-positioned to compete in the oil and gas industry while pushing the boundaries of innovation for our customers.”
Lorenzo Simonelli, who is currently president and CEO of GE Oil & Gas said, “This transformative transaction will create a powerful force in the oil and gas market as we continue to drive long-term value for our customers and shareholders. This transaction is also exciting for employees of both companies. GE Oil & Gas and Baker Hughes are an exceptional cultural fit, sharing a commitment to exceeding customer expectations. Both companies’ employees will benefit significantly from being part of a larger, stronger company that is positioned for long-term growth. We look forward to combining the digital solutions and technology from the GE Store with the domain expertise of Baker Hughes and its culture of innovation in the oilfield services sector.”
Compelling Strategic and Financial Benefits of the Transaction
- Complementary assets and integrated offerings will provide differentiated services for combined company’s customers. The company will combine the digital solutions, manufacturing expertise and technology from the GE Store and the outstanding track record of success Baker Hughes has in the oilfield services sector. With combined revenue of over $32 billion1the product portfolio of GE Oil & Gas and Baker Hughes in drilling, completions, production and midstream / downstream equipment and services will create the second largest player in the oilfield equipment and services industry. Customers should expect sustainable innovation and integration that will deliver valuable outcomes. As one company, we will have operations in more than 120 countries. Both companies have invested even in the downturn and have strong, complementary competitive scope across the industry. From GE’s fullstream oil and gas manufacturing and technology solutions spanning across subsea & drilling, rotating equipment, imaging and sensing to the Baker Hughes portfolio in Drilling & Evaluation and Completion & Production, the combined company will be moving beyond oilfield services and into oil and gas productivity solutions.
- The combination produces substantial synergies through combined efficiency and growth. The companies expect to generate total runrate synergies of $1.6 billion by 2020, which has a net present value of $14 billion. While this is primarily driven by cost out, we believe that the new company is positioned for growth as the industry rebounds.
- Combination positioned to create value for Baker Hughes shareholders. The diversified portfolio can deliver through the oil and gas cycle. There is a large pool of synergies that will improve operating margins and drive organic growth. The “New” Baker Hughes has a strong balance sheet.
- Combination positioned to create value for GE shareholders. The transaction is expected to be accretive to GE’s earnings per share by $.04 by 2018 and $.08 by 2020. This is another step in creating the premium digital industrial company.
- The “New” Baker Hughes is expected to be the partner and employer of choice for the industry. Combination is an exceptional cultural fit. Both companies’ employees will benefit significantly from being part of a larger, more diversified company.
1 Based on 2015 combined revenue
The transaction will be executed using a partnership structure, pursuant to which GE Oil & Gas and Baker Hughes will each contribute their operating assets to a newly formed partnership. GE will have a 62.5% interest in this partnership and existing Baker Hughes shareholders will have a 37.5% interest through a newly NYSE listed corporation. Baker Hughes shareholders will also receive a special one-time cash dividend of $17.50 per share at closing. The $7.4 billion contributed by GE to the new partnership will be used to fund the cash dividend to existing Baker Hughes shareholders.
Headquarters, Management and Board of Directors
The “New” Baker Hughes will have dual headquarters in Houston, Texas and London, UK.
Jeff Immelt, Chairman and CEO of GE will serve as Chairman of the Board of Directors and Lorenzo Simonelli, president and CEO of GE Oil & Gas will serve as President and Chief Executive Officer. Martin Craighead, Baker Hughes Chairman and CEO, will serve as Vice Chairman of the Board. The remainder of the executive leadership team will be a combination of existing leaders from both GE and Baker Hughes.
Upon closing, the “New” Baker Hughes board will consist of nine directors: five of whom, including Chairman Jeff Immelt will be appointed by GE and four, including Vice Chairman Martin Craighead will be appointed by Baker Hughes.
Path to Completion
The transaction is subject to approval by Baker Hughes shareholders, regulatory approvals, and other customary closing conditions.
GE and Baker Hughes are committed to working constructively with the relevant government regulators to achieve the necessary approvals.
Centerview Partners is serving as financial advisor to GE on the transaction. Morgan Stanley is also acting as financial advisor. Shearman & Sterling is acting as legal advisor to GE. Goldman Sachs & Co. is serving as financial advisor to Baker Hughes. Davis Polk is acting as legal advisor to Baker Hughes.
GE (NYSE:GE) is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. GE is organized around a global exchange of knowledge, the "GE Store," through which each business shares and accesses the same technology, markets, structure and intellect. Each invention further fuels innovation and application across our industrial sectors. With people, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for customers by speaking the language of industry. www.ge.com
About GE Oil & Gas
GE Oil & Gas is inventing the next industrial era in the oil and gas sector. In our labs and factories, and in the field, we constantly push the boundaries of technology to solve today’s toughest operational & commercial challenges. We have the skills, knowledge and technical expertise to bring together the physical and digital worlds to fuel the future. Follow GE Oil & Gas on Twitter @GE_OilandGas or visit us at www.geoilandgas.com
About Baker Hughes
Baker Hughes is a leading supplier of oilfield services, products, technology and systems to the worldwide oil and natural gas industry. The Company’s 34,000 employees today work in more than 80 countries helping customers find, evaluate, drill, produce, transport and process hydrocarbon resources. For more information about Baker Hughes, visit: www.bakerhughes.com